Slideshow Widget

36 Week Update: Honeydews and Preterm Labor

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Today I am exactly 36 weeks pregnant!


...and bohk-soong-ah is the size of a honeydew melon!

I apologize for the long overdue update. A lot has been going on.


At 32 weeks pregnant, I was admitted into the hospital for preterm labor. I went in on a Monday thinking they would tell me my little stomach pains were normal and they'd send me on my way. Little did I know that the hospital would be my home for the next 5 days. They told me my contractions were about 3-5 minutes apart. They put me on Procardia hoping that the contractions would slow but they only became closer together; 2-4 minutes apart. "You have the most contractions when it comes to anyone else on this floor." I was in labor and delivery! I was so overwhelmed and scared. I cried.

They hooked me up to an IV, gave me my first dose of steroids, and I stayed overnight in L&D. I was then put on magnesium and as soon as my contractions became far enough apart I was moved to antepartum. 24 hours apart from my first injection I received my second and last dose of steroids and then was closely monitored. I stayed on magnesium for the next couple days.

I was finally allowed to eat! I was starving when I walked into the hospital. Had I known I'd be staying and not allowed to eat or drink, I would have stopped at a buffet before going in. I'm one of those odd people who quite enjoy cafeteria food. But honestly, the hospital food really wasn't bad. The menu was pretty extensive. A little bit of everything. Here are a couple of the meals I ate while there.


But one can only eat so much hospital food. So, Jon, my wonderful hubby brought some Korean sushi rolls to share. We thoroughly enjoyed the spread!


Don't worry! The rolls did not contain any raw fish or meat ;]

I was then discharged on Friday on modified bed rest. This meant I was to stay in bed or lay on the couch as much as I could. I was allowed to get up to use the bathroom and eat. Jon took off a couple of weeks to stay by my side. Now that I'm 36 weeks I feel much more at ease.

As far as my symptoms go, things have definitely gotten worse. Both my upper and lower back are in pain and it has become very difficult not only to sleep at night or even sit on the couch and make it through an episode of chopped. And that's only 30 minutes long! My belly button feels like its ripping and I have lower pelvic cramps. I guess I really am getting that much closer to meeting little one!


Dear Bohk-soong-ah,

With my hands on my belly, I lie in bed at night thinking about the first moment I will hold you. The shape of your eyes, the color of your hair, the feel of your skin. Will you have big brown eyes like daddy? Light yellow skin like mommy? I pray for your health and development and hope that I am providing you with a warm and suitable home for you to grow. But first and foremost, I pray for your beautiful life. You are the gift daddy and I have been wanting for so long.

Somedays I find myself close to tears thinking how excited daddy and I are to show you this amazing world. I can't wait for you to experience all of its beauty, and I anticipate how we will help you through all of its heartaches. I want nothing more than for you to feel safe and supported, honored and respected. I pray that daddy and I will be a prime example of patience and unconditional love.

My little one, my dream for you is to be strong and confident, yet soft and caring. I want you to know that without a doubt you can do anything you put your mind to, so long as it's done with integrity and hard work. I am relieved that you, my little mister, already have the most amazing man in your life to emulate. Take after his free spirit, it will bring joy to everyone it touches. Model his kindness, it will soften even the hardest of people. Follow his work ethic, it will help you reach all your goals.

Noah, each time we get to hear your little heart beat and feel your little taps coming from inside of me, we are reminded that we have been entrusted by the Lord to care for you. Our purpose in this world has forever been broadened and for that daddy and I are ever so grateful.

We love you always,

Mommy


Cheers.

One Response to “36 Week Update: Honeydews and Preterm Labor”

  1. Hey Moms, perfect home job,What a wonderful way to work from home around your family's busy schedule! We are Changing Lives! Bringing Moms Home! Sharing Wellness On A Budget! The Best Way To Work From Home! $1 memberships are available thru Aug 31st! USA and CANADA
    www.connectingfromhome.com/workwithkarenb

    ReplyDelete